Welcome back, I hope you all had a lovely half term.
Our topic this term is ‘Noisy Nightlife’. We will be spending time learning about nocturnal animals and winter celebrations such as Bonfire Night, Remembrance and Christmas.
This week we will be learning about Diwali to develop our cultural awareness.
Our second week of school will be ‘Armistice week’, where we will reflect on the end of the First World War as a school and include some appropriate learning for the children at their level during the week.
As part of this topic, we will begin to look at ‘Light and Dark’, non-fiction books and will be writing letters, lists and invitations.
Some of the texts we will be looking at are:
Understanding of the World
- Learning about nocturnal animals
- Light and Dark
- Different celebrations such as Diwali and Christmas
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Understanding differences
- Safety and rules in different situations
- Working together
Expressive Art & Design
- Diwali art
- Christmas craft
- Cards & Decorations
Communication and Language
- Listening and following instructions
- Thinking and talking about feelings
- Understanding and sequencing stories and events
- Fine motor skills – Holding pencils correctly, threading,
- Spatial awareness when moving
- Letter formations
- What is a prayer?
- What is assembly?
- What is Christmas about?
- Counting skills & recognising numbers
- Exploring capacity and money
- Using mathematical vocabulary
- Understanding ‘more’ and ‘less’
- Letters and sounds, phonics,
- Writing captions, lists and letters and our weekly news.
- Exploring non-fiction books
I would like to thank you all for your effort with last terms home learning tasks including reading with your children. The children have already made great progress with learning sounds and every read will help this to become more secure. The homework will continue as last term.
|Reading||Please read with your child regularly, even if it is just for 5 minutes.
It is really important that the children bring their book bags, yellow reading record and their reading book into school every day.
When reading with your child please acknowledge the fact that the book has been read by
|Letters & Sounds||Please can you continue to look through your child’s phonics and tricky word booklet with them. We will continue to highlight any of the sounds your child has learned at school. Please practise writing the sounds, finding pictures of objects that begin with these sounds, drawing, and writing short words that you can think of.
Please feel free to bring in small, named objects that begin with these sounds too!
Key questions to ask your child at home:
- Which animals come out at night?
- Why does the world get dark?
- Who works at night time?
- What sounds can you hear at night time?
- www.ictgames.co.uk and www.topmarks.co.uk for Literacy and Maths games.
- www.phonicsplay.co.uk Phase 2 and 3 games, blending sounds and words.
Friday Morning Learning Journey Sharing
Every other Friday morning, beginning on Friday 12th November, we will be opening our doors a little early for parents to come in and share their child’s learning journey with them. Please feel free to come in whenever you choose. There is no expectation for parents to come every fortnight as some weeks we have more to share than others but it would be lovely to see as many of you as possible over the coming weeks. We will be asking any visitors to add a small speech bubble to the learning journey to comment on a beautiful piece of work or an achievement that you are proud of. Please come to the office at 3pm and then you can come down to the classroom until the end of the day.
- Please can you make sure your child brings in a water bottle and their book bags every day.
- Can the children please always have a coat in school particularly as the British weather is unpredictable.
- It is going to get wet and windy, but we will continue our learning outside. If you have waterproof and wellies spare to bring and leave at school, that would be great- please can you make sure they are named. If not- we’ve got spares.
- Our PE days are Monday & Friday but PE kits should be in all week.
We hope you all have lovely second term supporting the children in their learning and can see how much they have learnt already. Please do not hesitate to come and speak to us if necessary.
Thank you for your support,
Mrs Sanders and Miss Bews