I hope you have had a fantastic half term break! Our topic for term 2 is ‘Energising Engineers’ and we will be reading ‘Rosie Revere, Engineer’ to help us learn about what it means to be an engineer. We are also looking forward to celebrating 100 years since the end of WW1 on the second week of term, with a whole week focused on WW1. We will be using a book called ‘Archie’s War’ to help us with writing our own diaries and creating scrap books about what it would be like to be a school child during this time. We have also book a trip for Wednesday 28th November to visit the iconic British Airways i360 in Brighton and then onto the Pavillion to visit the Brighton Museum. A letter with further information will be sent out next week.
We will also be really focusing on timestables this term. The expectation is that children should know all their tables up to 12×12 by the end of year 4. This term, we will be especially focusing on the 3x, 4x, 6x and 8x tables. Please do as much as you can at home to learn these as they make so many areas of maths so much easier.
Our PE days are Tuesday and Friday; please ensure your child’s kit is always in school; trainers everyday are essential.
As our topic is based on Engineers, the children’s termly project will be to invent something to solve a problem. They could solve one of these three problems:
- Something that makes one of your chores easier to do
- A new way to package food to reduce plastic waste
- A new, original piece of playground equipment
- …or create something to solve a problem of their own! The children could make their creations or draw a design for their invention and explain how it would work. I look forward to seeing some genius inventions!
Helping To Enrich Our Topics
It is always great to have items or visitors that support our topic, so if anyone has any experience or items that may help us with any of the work above that we could hear about or borrow, we would love to see and hear about them.
Please can you make sure your child brings in a water bottle each day with fresh water; ensure all jumpers are labelled and bring a coat for any wet weather.
Many thanks for your support,
Questions you could ask your child about their learning this term
- Why are we celebrating WW1?
- Which famous inventors have you learnt about?
- Who discovered gravity and how? What is friction?